Thursday, October 17, 2013

Granola

20131017_142156

I’m still munching on this delicious treat so I’m going to make this post short and sweet!  Munch…I mean Rage on!


Ingredients

  1. 2.5 Cups Rolled Oats(Sometimes called old fashioned oats)
  2. 3/4 Cup Wheat Germ
  3. 1 Cup Mixed Nuts(Any nut works here, but I like to use a mix)
  4. 1/2 Cup Honey
  5. 1/2 Cup Vegetable Oil
  6. 1.5 tsp. Vanilla
  7. 1.5 tsp. Cinnamon
  8. 1/2 tsp. Salt
  9. Brown Sugar(about 1/2 a cup)


Quick Directions

  1. Rough chop, or pulse in food processer, the cup of mixed nuts.
  2. Mix honey, vegetable oil, vanilla, cinnamon and salt in a mixing bowl.
  3. Add rolled oats, wheat germ, and nuts to honey mixture.  Mix well.
  4. Spread out evenly on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
  5. Bake in oven at 225.  Stir every 15 minutes.
  6. After first stir, sprinkle brown sugar over the top.  Cover well, then mix in.
  7. Bake till oats are golden brown, about 60-75 minutes.  Don’t forget to stir every 15!
  8. Remove from oven and stir every couple of minutes till cool.  Less stirring will leave bigger chunks as it will begin to stick as it cools.  Your choice on how much to stir here.
  9. Enjoy!


Detailed Directions

20131017_123744

Granola!  The base of a great trail mix or an awesome stand alone snack.  Throw a little milk on it and have cereal?  I haven’t tried that yet but just might!  Right, so lets get down to it.

Start by getting the nuts ready.  I use mixed nuts because it gives a good amount of choice to the granola, but use your favorite.  I think walnuts are the best in granola but the batch of mixed nuts I got this time didn’t have any.  Which…I didn’t realize when I bought them or I would have probably picked some walnuts up to add to it.  Oh well, you live and learn and then rage for a second until you realize the granola is still great!

20131017_123836

So chop them up.  I found a really easy method for this.  Put some plastic wrap down, place nuts on top of the plastic wrap, then put plastic wrap over that.  Then use a meat mallet and pound on them(stress released!) or find a frying pan, that works too!  The goal is to get them broken into little pieces.  If you want, use a knife or pulse them in the food processor if you like more traditional methods.

20131017_124007

20131017_125112

So next get the honey, oil, cinnamon, vanilla, and salt into a mixing bowl and mix well.

20131017_125409

 

 

 

 

 

20131017_125654

You may be asking about the brown sugar, but hold on and follow directions.  Next add the rolled oats, which let me take a step aside and explain why rolled oats.  They are sometimes called old fashioned oats or rolled because of the method used to prepare them.  Anyways, it is what you want as they cook the best.  Add the wheat germ and the nuts also and mix well.  Then mix a few more times just to make sure its all mixed well!

20131017_125808

20131017_130436

Next put it onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper.  You don’t need to use the parchment but I feel like the mix would make a mess on the pan so I played it safe.  Spread evenly and then place in the oven set at 225.  Bake for 60-75 minutes stirring it every 15 minutes.

 

20131017_132131

Ok, so now we are finally at the brown sugar part.  After your first stir, sprinkle brown sugar over the top.  Doesn’t have to be a lot, you just want to cover it well.  And then stir again to mix the brown sugar in.  Why do I do it this way?  I can’t really explain it, I forgot to add it one time and did it this way and liked the way it turned out so I say don’t mess with it.  I am sure there is some scientific reason why this is good or bad to do but I don’t have that answer for you.  So if you like, go ahead and mix it in with the honey mixture before adding the oats in.  Probably do 3-4 Tbsp.

20131017_142156

So then it is finally done!  It is a little hard to tell because the color your looking for is golden brown oats but this can be hard to see with the honey mixture on them.  What I do is taste a small bite every stir after the first 30 minutes of baking.  Once it is out, continue to stir every couple of minutes for the next 15-20.  The granola will begin to stick and clump up as it cools.  The bigger you want the clumps to be, the less you stir it.  So now it is done, go enjoy!  And rage on!



Other Thoughts

Ok, so this is the base for a trail mix I made awhile back.  I don’t particularly like the raisins and other things I added to it that time so I didn’t do it this time as it is just for me.  But, I can tell you what to do!  Once it comes out of the oven, let it sit for about 5-10 minutes and then add in the other goods you want to add.  Such as raisins, craisins, chocolate chips, pretzels, really whatever you like.  The choice is yours, which it always has been when in your kitchen.

No comments: